Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lily: The Ideal Feminist

This is mostly in congruence with Gretchen's post, and as I still have House of Mirth on my mind, I have been thinking how women rights are incredibly relevant to Lily's circumstances (and to my own for that matter) I consider myself to be a feminist, however, I do not think that all of the feminist ways should apply to me or others. I do think that the women suffrage movement all the all things that followed were completely essential to the rest of the societal rights that women possess today. However, like Lily, why should women not be permitted to enjoy the finer things in life and still be considered independent or NOT a feminist? I know that I want a husband that worships me and I think that every woman deserves that, in the real world and in House of Mirth, predominantly Lily. We do have to remember that sometimes love isn't enough and I respect Lily for keeping that in mind throughout her life. This thought may be anti-romantic but Lily is the perfect example and she is a lot smarter than we give her credit for, she shouldn't dismiss what she deserves to be with someone that she is simply attracted to (and at times I felt that between she and Selden it was only physical attraction and the idea of being with one another).

I like the idea of men waiting on me and it may be superficial but women should be showered with attention and treated like princesses. This is how Lily was brought up and she could not allow herself to stray from the ideals that her mother instilled in her, and why should she? I don't think that because we want men to do things for us woman that that makes us dependent. If I wanted to someday I could live on my own, provide for myself, and live absent of male attention. If some feminists would like to do that then that is great for them. However, as independent ladies, we have the option to be treated well and pampered. Ultimately I believe that a woman can be independent and be spoiled simultaneously. Because I am a feminist, that does not mean that I want to live alone and purposely try to defy social roles (as Gerty did), it simply means that, like Lily, I demand respect AND appreciate and deserve admiration.

1 comment:

  1. I think you all might be responding to Lily's feistiness. She's an appealing character, and maybe we like her because she doesn't really fit the role assigned to her. She is beautiful, and so the option open to her is to marry well. But somehow she manages to mess this up on every occasion. Hence, her tragedy. Her tragedy is that she's been fashioned in such a way that she really doesn't have any other choice. We all--men and women--deserve and want love and admiration. Should women get it but not men? Do women have a special need or mandate to be pampered, but men do not? What do the men think?

    ReplyDelete