Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Super-catchy post title!

As a guy, I typically find feminism to be a rather touchy issue. When speaking of feminism there are typically two schools of thought. The first one is that women are equal and deserve just as much respect as men, if not more. This sort of feminism I completely support. The second type however, is a little more frighting to me as a male. Basically, anything that makes me feel ashamed to have been born a male. What Mina Loy wrote seems to do a little of both. There are things in there that I absolutely support, such as women looking inside themselves to see who they are and not to men to see what they are not. I also support the destruction of the classes of mother and misteress and completely agree that all women should not be forced to be put into theses classes. However, I struggle a lot with the comments, "Men & women are enemies," and "The only point at which the interests of the sexes merge---is the sexual embrace". Those things strike me as a little harsh and quite rash. But it is not as though all is lost on me. I understand where Loy is coming from and what she is trying to do with this Manifesto.

One of the recurring themes that I am seeing in the reading selection that is due in about an hour is the slowly emerging sense of self. If there is one thing that The House of Mirth showed is that society seemed to think of itself as a collective. The individuals of said collective were very important, but the upper echelon itself was more of a group than a person. In many of these works that we are reading, the self seems to be pushing to emerge. "In a Station of the Metro" came across, to me at least, as a very powerful poem, despite its length. The imagery in the poem seemed to suggest that the collective or mob of people coming out of a metro was something bad, or a "wet black bough", but each individual was something good or "petals". However, I could possibly be wrong, I figure a disclaimer is necessary.

1 comment:

  1. This is really thoughtful, Devon. I think you are right, too, about the emerging sense of self. What you say about Loy, too, is very good. Your discomfort, I think, is part of the point.

    ReplyDelete