Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I actually really liked all of the uncertainties that went along with the book. However, I appreciate how the book set up opposing viewpoints, mainly when Gertrude, Irene and Clare were all out for tea. Gertrude and Clare had this marvelous idea of "passing" and Irene thought it was absolutely horrible. I absolutely agree with what Irene though, I think to deny one's own heritage and race is to deny part of one's self. Which, I believe, is the role of the African-American in modernist society. They are starting to embrace who they are and collectively celebrate that, instead of trying to hide it.
I know this is all a bit sporadic and it probably is but there is one part that I really want to bring up. When Irene first catches Clare staring at her, her first thought is "There is no way she thinks I'm African-American", she then explains how she could always fit in with white society without them even knowing. This, I believe, shows that the thought of "passing" isn't something foreign to Irene and almost makes her seem a little hypocritical.
To wrap this up, I just want to point out how much of a jerk Irene's husband is. There is absolutely nothing about this character that I like. The fact that he refers to Irene as "Nig" and just his general outlook on the African-American race made me cringe every time his name came up or he ambled into the scene.

1 comment:

  1. Irene is a hypocrite, as you say in your second paragraph here, since she herself passes all the time, as well. You mean, Irene's husband or Clare's? Clare's husband is white and refers to her as Nig.

    ReplyDelete