Wednesday, November 11, 2009

it's been a while...

Hello Classmates! It has been a while; no other excuse but the truth: I forgot about you lovely people. My apologies. on to more important matters.
I will not comment from previous things such as Journey of the Magi, but I will briefly say that I loved that very much.
Now A Farewell to arms. I can absolutely see why it is a Modernist book. As Dana said previously, all the characters are coping with their problems, but not really in casual ways. In fact they are coping in a very modernist fashion, no emotions, but merely drowning themselves in alcohol, or in promiscuous sex. The only character who deserves any credit is the preacher who is using God as his scapegoat, as he should be anyway. But what really bothers me is how Henry and Catherine use love as their escape, especially Catherine who is also coping from the death of her fiancee. I think Henry should be outraged by this, because clearly he is just her rebound. She has transferred all her feelings to Henry, and since Henry is coping with the war, he is accepting them and reciprocating the same thing. If perhaps in another time, Henry would realize that she is merely using him to get over her fiancee.
I believe that it is well deserved that the book should end and it is raining and Henry is left all alone. This type of scene is very common in movies, and rain would symbolize the state of sadness; not just for Henry but for everyone. I also have to criticize Catherine, as a female, I am aware of heartache and this "transfer" of feelings, and the result just ends up hurting the rebound. I feel that even though it is "modernist" literature, she should have some feelings, and not be cruel to him. Suppose Henry is okay with this, and they are just using each other to get over their sadness, then okay. It sounds like today's relationships. Crazy, friends-with-benefits sort of fashion.

1 comment:

  1. Good to have you back. I'm not sure I'm following the ending of this blog. Are you not convinced that they love each other?

    ReplyDelete